Wednesday 12 November 2008

Mileage Graphs


Now full MOT results are available I have the ability to sort out mileage graphs. I'm looking to present them in a few formats:
  • Line graph - showing current mileage over time
  • Variable width bar chart - showing average mileage per month over time
  • Yearly bar chart - showing estimated yearly mileage
I can also estimate the current mileage based upon the average daily mileage in the last MOT period. Based on my own mileage this method came out pretty good.

The code to get together data for these statistics is already done - so all I need to do is get the graphs to be generated. I've been looking at Google Chart API and Open Flash Chart. Google's offering is pretty easy to use but seems a bit odd in that its bad at figuring out how to scale bar charts. OFC on the other hand seems a bit more powerful (you can add your own shapes to charts and do some other nice things) but code wise its a bit of a pain. I'm playing with both to see which one I like more. Hopefully I can get something working soon in beta.